To create an environment of education for the membership so as to bring about the betterment of the conditions for those involved in the agricultural production of California-bred Thoroughbreds; to assist in all ways appropriate, including legislatively, to maximize the quality and profitability of the product of the members and the efficiency of their operation; and to enhance all economic conditions related to the growth and vitality of the Thoroughbred industry in California.
Goal One: TO IMPROVE THE PUBLIC’S PERCEPTION OF THE CTBA AND OF THE THOROUGHBRED BREEDING BUSINESS WITHIN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA
- To increase the public’s awareness of the Thoroughbred industry and, in particular, its positive environmental, agricultural, recreational, and economic impacts.
- To increase awareness of California’s significance, leadership, and importance as a Thoroughbred breeding state and regional market center.
- To focus regional and national attention on California’s major events and programs, including the California Cup, the California-bred Incentive Award Program, and California Thoroughbred Sales Inc.
- To strengthen CTBA’s image and to increase media coverage of CTBA’s positions and activities on behalf of the state’s Thoroughbred industry.
Goal Two: TO EXPAND AND ENCOURAGE THE EDUCATION OF MEMBERS AND PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT POSSIBLE
- To support Thoroughbred classes and activities at all levels of California’s education system.
- To annually sponsor educational forums and seminars with a goal to maximize horsemanship and husbandry within the membership.
- To encourage educational articles in the California Thoroughbred magazine and/or other educational papers or pamphlets.
- To utilize our sales and sales catalogues as tools of education for breeder, buyer, seller, and potential member.
- To encourage and support the University of California’s Equine Research Lab at Davis and aid in the dissemination and application of findings that can aid the Thoroughbred horse.
Goal Three: TO EXPAND AND IMPROVE SERVICES TO CTBA MEMBERS, TO THE CALIFORNIA THOROUGHBRED SUBSCRIBERS, AND TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC
- To upgrade, improve, and expand the CTBA’s library, audiovisual, and research facilities, as well as its membership resources.
- To publish and improve the California Thoroughbred magazine and other educational publications as appropriate.
- To encourage educational institutions to do more for the state’s Thoroughbred industry in the areas of extension, teaching, and research.
- To work with the California Department of Agriculture, and with commodity and general farm organizations, to direct more CDFA, USDA, and other agricultural programs toward the Thoroughbred industry.
- To conduct and/or support the operation of a consistent high quality auction sales program geared toward the needs of California breeders and the California marketplace. These sales will be sensitive to marketing the California-bred and bring quality bloodlines to the state by including non California-bred individuals when appropriate.
- To focus the operation of the sales company on the long-term need to develop and maintain stable markets for California-bred horses.
Goal Four: TO ASSURE THE LONG-TERM FINANCIAL VIABILITY OF THE CTBA AND ITS AFFILIATES
- To strive to increase the revenues available to the California Thoroughbred magazine by all appropriate and achievable means.
- To continue to attract and maintain staff personnel who are dedicated, talented, qualified for their positions, and committed to the goals of the CTBA.
- To search for ways to increase and expand functions without raising costs and to become more efficient in all areas.
- To maintain an adequate cash reserve to insure a sound financial future for the CTBA.
- To operate CTBA Sales Inc. with strong fiscal principles and responsibility and attempt at all times to conduct its business on a profitable basis annually.
Goal Five: TO INVOLVE MORE PEOPLE THROUGH GREATER CTBA MEMBERSHIP AND MAGAZINE CIRCULATION
- To encourage all eligible owners and breeders to become active CTBA members.
- To maintain visibility by increasing the number of regular contacts between CTBA, its members, and governmental agencies and bodies.
- To establish a common ground between the CTBA board and its members for the exchange of ideas, concerns, and solutions for problems facing the Thoroughbred industry.
Goal Six: TO MAINTAIN CTBA’S POSITIVE ROLE IN GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
- To ensure that CTBA works diligently at all governmental levels to create the optimum legislative climate to maximize the profitability of California breeders and the overall popularity and growth of Thoroughbred racing.
- To work with national organizations such as the American Horse Council, the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association, and the American Thoroughbred Breeders Alliance to encourage federal legislation that benefits Thoroughbred breeders and the racing industry.
- To work toward its goals, CTBA will strive to perform for the good of the total Thoroughbred industry at all times.