From CHRB POMONA, CA – The California Horse Racing Board conducted its regular meeting Thursday, September 20, at Fairplex Park. Chairman Keith Brackpool presided. Vice Chairman David Israel and Commissioners Steve Beneto, Jesse Choper, Bo Derek, Richard Rosenberg, and Chuck Winner were in attendance.
The audio of this entire Board meeting is available on the CHRB Website (www.chrb.ca.gov) under the Webcast link. In brief:
- The Board completed the allocation of racing dates for 2013 by approving the Northern California thoroughbred and fair schedule – having previously approved the rest of the racing calendar. Date allocations cover every day of the calendar for purposes of live racing and for determining hosts for simulcasts on days and nights when there is no live racing. Precise racing dates are determined when the Board approves the license application for each meet. The allocated dates for Northern California begin with Golden Gate Fields on December 26, 2012, through June 18, 2013, followed by the Alameda County Fair (June 19 – July 9), State Fair (July 10 – 23), Sonoma County Fair (July 24 – August 13), Humboldt County Fair (August 14 – 25), Golden Gate (August 14 – September 17), San Joaquin County Fair (September 18 – October 1), Big Fresno Fair (October 2 – 15), and finally Golden Gate again (October 16 – December 25). A related issue pertaining to overlap days and host revenues involving Golden Gate and Humboldt will be on the agenda for the October Board meeting.
- The Board approved for public notice 25 proposed regulations governing the conduct of exchange wagering in California. These proposed regulations were previously noticed for 45 days. Subsequent changes to the texts were relatively minor in nature, allowing for a second, shorter 15-day notice period. The Board will conduct a public hearing October 18 at Santa Anita Park, at which time the regulations could be given final approval by the Board. The regulations would then be sent to the Office of Administrative Law for review and approval.
- The Board approved the license application by Hollywood Park Fall Racing Association for a thoroughbred meet at Hollywood Park from November 8 through December 16, providing a nine-day break in live thoroughbred racing before the December 26 start of the Santa Anita winter meet. Hollywood Park will offer simulcast-only wagering on non-live-racing days, including the break period before Christmas.
- The Board approved for 45-day public notice a proposed regulatory amendment to the current rule that allows a claim (purchase) to be voided if the horse suffered a fatality during the running of a race or before returning to be unsaddled. The proposed amendment would also require the stewards to void a claim if “the racing or official veterinarian determine the horse will be placed on the Veterinarian’s List as unsound or lame before the horse is released to the successful claimant.” Public comments received during the 45-day notice period will be posted on the CHRB Website. The Board will conduct a public hearing on the proposed amendment following the comment period.
- The Board voted to reaffirm the language in the previously approved license application for the fall meet at Santa Anita pertaining to horses entered in Breeders’ Cup championship races (November 2-3). Authorized bleeder medication will be limited to furosemide administered by CHRB licensed veterinarians approved by the Breeders’ Cup and who are not otherwise attending horses competing in the Breeders’ Cup races.
- The Board voted to amend the Defined Contribution Retirement Plan for California Licensed Jockeys by modifying the Plan’s life expectancy table to more accurately reflect the expected life span of Plan participants.