DEL MAR, Calif. (Nov. 17, 2017) — The California Horse Racing Board conducted its regular meeting Thursday, November 16, at Del Mar Race Track. Chairman Chuck Winner presided. Vice Chairman Madeline Auerbach and Commissioners Jesse Choper, Fred Maas, Araceli Ruano and Alex Solis also were in attendance.
- The Board shifted one week of fair racing from Santa Rosa to Sacramento after the Sonoma County Fair Board voted to delay by one week the start of its annual fair (i.e. carnival and events). As a result, Cal Expo will offer three weeks of racing in in conjunction with the State Fair beginning July 11, 2018. Santa Rosa will offer two weeks of racing beginning August 1, both weeks in conjunction with their fair.
- The Board conditionally approved the license application for the Los Angeles Turf Club to conduct a race meet at Santa Anita Park from December 20 (racing scheduled to begin December 26) through June 12. The Board authorized Chairman Winner to determine what additional documentation is required for this meet. Santa Anita intends to offer $1 Super High Five (pentafecta) wagering on additional races and a late Pick 5 at normal takeout rates.
- The Board conditionally approved the license application for the Pacific Racing Association to conduct a race meet at Golden Gate Fields from December 20 (racing scheduled to begin December 26) through June 12 subject to the same determination by Chairman Winner and with the same additions to the wagering menu. As a result of this discussion, Chairman Winner and other CHRB representatives will meet with stakeholders in Northern California in an effort to resolve a summer stabling issue.
- The Board adopted regulatory amendments extending provisions for the use of the riding crop in races to training, so that horses will have the same protections whether racing or exercising.
- The Board approved the license application for Watch and Wager LLC to conduct a harness race meet at Cal Expo from December 26 through May 12.
- The Board approved Game Play Network to offer Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW) through January 31, 2019.
- Vice Chairman Auerbach reported that following an internal review of the photo finish process, steps are being taken to upgrade to high definition (HD) the monitors used by stewards in their review of photo finishes.
- Executive Director Rick Baedeker reported that CHRB licensing personnel issued more than a thousand new licenses in the weeks leading up to the Breeders’ Cup at Del Mar. He and Chairman Winner both thanked all involved with the Breeders’ Cup on an extremely successful event.
- After hearing presentations from those advocating increased racing opportunities for the Arabian breed, Scott Daruty with Golden Gate Fields indicated they will work with the breed’s representatives on the details for offering a limited number of Arabian races.
- The Board authorized Barretts Equine Limited to schedule six sales as follow: January Mixed on January 17 at the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds (Pomona); Spring 2-Year-Olds on April 4 at Del Mar; Paddock Sale on July 23 at Del Mar; Select Yearlings on August 30 at Del Mar; Yearlings and Horses of All Ages on October 18 in Pomona; and January Mixed on January 16, 2019, in Pomona.